March 15, 2015

What are surcharges? Surcharges are fines assessed by New Jersey Surcharge Violation System (NJSVS)

What are surcharges?
Surcharges are fines assessed by New Jersey Surcharge Violation System (NJSVS). Drivers who have excessive points for traffic violations or have been convicted in court for specific offenses  such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) are liable for Surcharge. Surcharges are in addition to any court fines and/or penalties and are billed yearly for three years. If you have received a surcharge notice in the mail and do not see an answer to your question on this page or in the FAQ, please call the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System at (888-651-9999).
Why do you get a Surcharge?

Your New Jersey driving record is reviewed every time points or other serious violations are added to your driving record. If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 Surcharge plus $25 for each additional point. A points based Surcharge can result in a Surcharge for three years.

Additional violations that will result in a Surcharge due for three years:
         $100 for unlicensed driver or driver with expired license ($300 total)
         $250 for driving with a suspended license ($750 total)
         $100 for failure to insure a moped  ($300 total)
         $250 for operating an uninsured vehicle  ($750 total)
         $1,000 for first and second driving while intoxicated (DWI)  ($3,000 total)
         $1,500 third DWI  (if it occurs within three years last offense) ($4,500 total)
         $1,000 for refusing to take test to measure blood alcohol concentration  ($3,000 total)
Not paying surcharges?
Drivers failing to pay surcharges are sent a notice indicating when their license will be suspended and another notice confirming suspension for non-payment. Moving out of state or failing to maintain a current address with the MVC does not excuse surcharge debts.  After suspension, surcharges and a $100 restoration fee must be paid to restore the license privilege.  If the surcharge remains unpaid a Certificate of Debt is filed in Superior Court.   The court issues a judgment, which allows the state to collect unpaid surcharges through involuntary means.  The judgment amount (surcharge debt) must be paid before personal property can be transferred or sold.  Judgments include a collection cost and interest charges calculated on the judgment balance.  Unpaid judgments are assigned to collection agencies and law firms.  Credit bureaus are made aware of unpaid accounts.
Are you eligible for a Hardship Payment Plan?
Drivers owing surcharges can request a lower cost payment plan if they are currently receiving government benefits.   This includes participants in Work Force New Jersey (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP),  those receiving unemployment benefits and other eligible programs.  Contact the billing office at 888-651-9999 or the collection firm noted on your billing statement for more information.  You will need to submit proof of participation or receipt of benefits.  Hardship payment plans expire when there is no longer a hardship.  Hardship Payment Plans will assist drivers in avoiding suspension and aid in restoring driving privileges.
More information on Surcharges?
How to pay your Surcharges?
There are several ways of paying your Surcharge:
         Pay with debit/credit card or e-check via the internet:   Go to
         Pay with debit/credit card via telephone: Call toll free at 888-651-9999
         Pay with cash: Visit a Western Union location in New Jersey and nation wide
         Send a check or money order payable to:
P.O. Box 4850
Trenton, NJ 08650-4850
Surcharge Payment plans are available as detailed on your bill. You can call 888-651-9999 for more information.  You may also use this number to automatically access individual account and payment information, obtain Surcharge program information, and make credit card payments 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

No comments: