September 25, 2007

State of New Jersey v. John L. Nyhammer

09-06-07 A-5672-04T4

We reverse a conviction for aggravated sexual assault on a
girl, then nine years old, concluding that each of two rulings
constituted reversible error. First, the judge should not have
admitted defendant's confession. An investigator called
defendant and explained that he was conducting an investigation
against another man in connection with the abuse of another
child as well as the victim in this case. The investigator did
not indicate to defendant that the victim in this case had made
allegations of abuse by defendants. Defendant went to the
police station. The investigator gave defendant the Miranda
warnings. After defendant gave a formal statement regarding the
incident of abuse by the other man, the investigator told him
that the victim had made accusations against defendant as well.
Defendant became distraught. Miranda warnings were not given a
second time. Defendant confessed. We conclude that defendant
did not make a knowing and voluntary waiver of his right to
remain silent. Therefore, his confession was inadmissible.
Second, we conclude that the victim's hearsay videotape,
which was the sole substantive evidence proving defendant's
conduct, should have been excluded from evidence, pursuant to
the Confrontation Clause. The videotaped statement was
"testimonial," there was no prior opportunity for defendant to
cross-examine the victim, and there was no opportunity for an
adequate and meaningful cross-examination at trial because the
victim was unresponsive to many questions. At trial, she did
not recollect questions going to the heart of the charges.
Therefore, the videotape was the sole substantive evidence at
trial.

3 comments:

ymiyazima said...

I am very sickened about learning the reverse of the conviction. I personally know John and the victim. I give all my heart to her. He needs to be punished for what he did. I truely believe that he did sexually assault the victim. I was in the past relationship with him. Sorry to say. Actually I married to him. I left him Nov. 2000 and tried and still trying to get a divorce. I have a son with him. I have no contact what so ever. I have dealt with his abuse way to long. He tries to act like he was raping me. Wanted me act like a little school girl. So I think along as alot of people who read and/ or heard about this whole situation, he should not be out.

Anonymous said...

I think you are a very confused person.I rmeeber you.and I remember you with John. and though these thing can be quite upsetting and bring lots of resentment and confusion. your a liar.I had conversations with you on the phone.and you would make jokes and be laughing about what you and john were doing like a true married couple.And I would tell you."I really don't want to hear about things like that hes my brother. " these things have been quite troubling in my life just as I am sure it is for you.and I have not spoken to him sinse these accusations have occured because I do not know how to deal with it.though I tolerated you .you were a bit imature, greedy, selfish and materialistic. You told me John was a great dad.and how his step-mother was doing all these things for you and buying you all this stuff and spoiling your son.and how she paid for your trip to go visit your mother in Colorodo.And John would tell me about how you always wanted material things all the time.I now you are distraught over this ..you are not the only one .You are making some pretty severe accuastions.As so was done in the first place.No I don't know John that well I did not grow up with him.And I am not defending and issue I do not know about.If this is true .I am truely sorry .But I just do not believe you.people who hurt people unjustly and aslo the same as people who slander people with lies .Will have to answer to God. This al came up when a sexual assualt was done to 3 children.and much more.Then all of a sudden John was accused.Out of the middle of all this.
The arguements of the lawyers .I do not support in any form .It does not seem to investigate true .But only point out vain mistakes.That is irrelavent.I do not know if the tape shows evidence of these things taking place and a confession of him.to get someone off a charge or it reversed.because someone didn't folow rules.Is not acceptable.I am a person who is a seeker of truth and only deals with truth to the best of my knowledge .And truth is my family ...Not flesh and blood. As what I follow as a Christian.And I value truth like its my very breath.I am in much pain over all this .As I have many.If he did these things .I feel as you do .But I do not believe in slander to anyone.But I don't believe it.Because I know his lying accusers.But yet I know anything is possibe.He lived a discuting life.But that doesn't make a person.The reason for his reversal .Is not creditable enough for me.
If others can be let off because of a mistake on the other partys part on not readnig rights. I worry. Because if this girl was victimized.which I know she was by the other party.Just like her mother was.And it was manipulated to cover it up.and me being a witness to it was put away to silence me.Actually I think the grandmother should be out away for a long time. That whole Pullen family is sick. so woman .I hope when you post something .Remember, you, like everyone .Will have to answer to God some day.And purgery is a crime.

Lori said...

u should remember u must also answer to god!i know all of u and all parties involved. The young terrified,tramitized victim is gonna deal with this for the rest of her life,as her mother does.this is not the first time he is getting away with this. Now sad as it is it"s not gonna be the last. just look up his record online instead of bashing the truth!